Safeguarding and eSafety
The Manchester Creative and Media Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and visitors to share this commitment.
Visitors to the academy
All external visitors who are meeting with students must have a current, enhanced DBS certificate. External agencies will be asked to provide the academy with the name of the person(s), together with their DBS certificate number and issue date before meeting with students. No visitor will be allowed to meet with a student alone unless we have verification of documentation. All visitors to the academy will be asked to sign in and out. They will be provided with a copy of the MCMA Safeguarding leaflet.
Accessing help & support
MCMA offers students and their families a high level of support during academy hours in term time. Families who need to seek advice should contact their child’s Form Tutor in the first instance who will refer the matter to the appropriate person. Further details are outlined in our Safeguarding leaflet. During evenings, weekends and holiday times, anyone with concerns should contact the organisations below:
- NSPCC www.nspcc.org.uk email@example.com. 0808 800 5000 18 or under?
- ChildLine offers free, confidential advice and support whatever your worry, whenever you need help. www.childline.org.uk 0800 1111
- Manchester Social Services www.manchesterscb.org.uk 0161 234 5001
With technology changing at such a fast pace, it is important that we all keep up to date with e-safety. Here at MCMA, we are committed to ensuring that our students are educated in the areas of e-safety and use opportunities in lessons, through assemblies and as part of our PSHE curriculum to discuss areas of e-safety with our students and all students and staff sign an acceptable use contract. New technologies have many pluses, however, we must make sure that we support our students in understanding how to keep safe online. We advise you to:
- Talk to your child about sites, games and apps they use
- Remind them to only post appropriate content or photos
- Check their security settings are private
- Remind them to only communicate with people they know in the ‘real world’
- Agree how much time they spend online
- Ask them to tell you if they are worried about anything
- Set up safe settings with your internet service provider and content filters on any devices they use
Finally, remember children learn by exploring and that the world they live in includes the internet. You can help by making sure they learn in safety, by being there for them when they need you and by pointing them in the right direction if and when they need your guidance. The Academy has produced an e-safety booklet for its parents/carers and a link to this is below.
Please click the link below issued by the government regarding Child Online Safety : A Practical Guide for Parents and Carers Whose Children Are Using Social Media
Copies of this document are also available at our Academy Reception.
OurPact is a free parental control app which allows you to control and block the internet and Applications on individual devices in your home, teaching children proper device use and responsibility.
The parental control solution gives parents the ability to manage their child’s screen time throughout the day.
Parents can enforce bedtime, set dinnertime, manage study time and schedule family time throughout the day. By syncing your family’s iPads, iPhones, and iPods to OurPact, you can have the power to manage your entire family’s screen time & device use under one platform.
- Block children’s Internet across all synced devices
- Block children’s Apps across all synced Devices
- Schedule Internet and App use according to your child’s daily routine or parental restrictions
- Enforce Bedtime, Dinnertime, Study Time and Family Time
- Create custom schedules for any activity or time frame
- Block Internet and Apps at-a-touch
- Allow Website and App access, whenever you feel your child “needs more time”
- Block All 3rd Party Apps: Block Facebook, Block SnapChat, Block Instagram, Block Twitter, etc